Butterfly & Insect House
With the world’s bee, insect and butterfly population in serious decline, Mr Fothergill’s is focused on producing products that will help increase the bee population and keep them pollinating our crops far into the future.
As pollinators, bees, butterflies and insects play an essential role in our gardens. They transfer pollen from one flower to another, fertilising plants so they start forming fruits and seeds. 70 of the top 100 most popular food crops are pollinated by bees, and they pollinate 80% of all flowering plants on Earth!
Unfortunately, bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects are under increasing threat due to pesticides, parasites and climate change – but we can help them by using responsible gardening practices, planting flowers to attract them and providing them with shelter.
Our Butterfly House contains a wooden butterfly house and a sachet of pollinator friendly flower seeds to help attract butterflies and beneficial insects to your garden. The seed mix is made up of the following varieties and covers approximately 2m2:
- Achillea (Achillea millefolium)
- Ageratum (Ageratum houstonianum)
- Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
- Asclepias (Asclepias fruiticosus)
- Borage (Borago officinalis)
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
- Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)
- Campanula (Campanula medium)
- Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
- Cherianthus (Erysimum cheiri)
- Chinese Forget-Me-Not (Cynoglossum amabile)
- Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
- Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus)
- Delphinium (Delphinium elatum)
- Dianthus (Dianthus caryophyllus)
- Dill (Anethum graveolens)
- Echium Dwarf (Echium plantagineum)
- Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis alpestris)
- Heliotrope (Heliotropium)
- Iberis (Iberis umbellata)
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
- Linum (Linum grandilflorum)
- Lupin Russell (Lupinus polyphyllus)
- Marigold (Tagetes erecta)
- Nigella (Nigella damascena)
- Pansy (Viola tricolor)
- Phacelia (Phacelia tanacetifolia)
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis)
- Sunflower (Helianthus annuus)
- Verbena (Verbena x hybrida)
- Zinnia (Zinnia elegans)
This butterfly house is coated in a non toxic lacquer/oil for protection making it weatherproof and safe for butterflies, bees and insects. It is also made of FSC timber, meaning it is responsibly sourced and eco-friendly.
Dimensions: 160mm(w) x 285mm(h) x 100mm(d)
How To Grow
To use, simply hook a piece of wire into the back loop of the butterfly and insect house and attach to a tree trunk or branch or simply place amongst the garden.
Sowing your seeds:
1. Prepare the chosen area for your seeds by turning or raking the soil until you have a good crumbly consistency, removing any stones and weeds as you go.
2. Open the seed sachet and shake out the seeds thinly and evenly directly over the prepared area.
3. Gently rake over the seed bed to lightly cover the seeds.
4. Water well until the plants are established.
- Some perennial varieties may not flower until the second year.
- Once the flowers start to appear, pollinating insects and bees will soon follow, and your garden will be a hive of activity!
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.