Tomatillo Toma Verde
Botanical Name: Physalis philadelphica
Tomatillos originated in Mexico and are an essential ingredient in salsas and many other Central American dishes. These bright green fruits with a sweet tangy flavour develop within unusual papery husks that are removed before eating.
How To Grow
In pots or trays of seed-raising mix in a sunny, but sheltered position.Sow seed 6mm (1/4in) deep, firm down gently and keep moist. Seedlings appear 7-21 days.Sow seed 6mm (1/4in) deep, firm down gently and keep moist. Seedlings appear 7-21 days.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Mexican Salsa Verde
- 500g tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Chillies, charred
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves
- Spoonful of thickened cream
- Simmer diced tomatillos, green onions and garlic in chicken broth until the mixture is reduced.
- Add charred chillies, coriander and a spoonful of cream and puree in a blender.
- Season with salt, sugar and lemon juice. Serve with nachos, tacos or other Mexican dishes.