Chives are one of the “fines herbes” of French cuisine. An easy to grow perennial plant, chives are perfect for the home gardener. The lovely lavender flowers that appear in Summer are also edible, and make a colourful garnish for any dish.
How To Grow
Sow seeds 5mm (¼in) deep direct into garden bed or in pots. Cover lightly with fine soil. Firm gently and keep moist. Allow 15cm (6in) between plants.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Spinach &Chives Pancakes
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Stir in the sour cream, spinach, chives, Parmesan, and salt. Add the flour and mix until well combined.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1/3 of the oil. Make 4 pancakes (about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake) and cook until golden brown and slightly puffed, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Working in batches, make a total of 12 pancakes, adding oil as necessary.